3 Oktoberfest Recipes For The Campsite
3 Oktoberfest Recipes for the Campsite
Tangy Oktoberfest Brats
One of the most succulent ways to prepare a big, fat bratwurst is to throw it in beer. It will impart a particularly hearty flavor when, slathered in sauerkraut, will be the envy of the campground. At the campsite it best to keep cooking tasty and simple, so that’s what we have for you here. This Oktoberfest brat recipe couldn’t be easier…or tastier.
2 cans of dark beer (avoid IPAs, bitter brats aren’t very tasty)
1 cup of ketchup
1 thinly sliced onion
- Grill the brats over medium heat for about 20 minutes. Be nice to them.
- Pour the remaining ingredients in a cast iron pan or Dutch oven and simmer for another 20 minutes.
- When the brats are almost done, toast the buns on the grate.
- Serve with sauerkraut and the toppings of your choosing.
Oktoberfest Foil Packet
If you’ve camped a lot you know the power of the foil packet. It’s the original “set it and forget it.” Toss these ingredients together in a foil packet and throw it in the coals for an easy and delicious meal.
1 full kielbasa, sliced
1 sliced red onion
1 apple, cored and cut into 1 inch chunks
2 tsp. caraway seeds
1 cup sauerkraut
½ cup dark beer
- Pour the beer into the foil packet and place the onion slices in first. Then add the sauerkraut, followed by the apples, onion and caraway seeds.
- Place in the coals for 20-30 min. The sauerkraut and onions will also be great on a brat (if you have any left over).
Incredible Oktoberfest Mustard
This is easy to whip up at the campsite, and will elicit a few “wow” reactions from your fellow campers. It goes great on a brat or as a pretzel dip for the picnic table.
1 cup course Dijon mustard
¼ cup plain Dijon mustard
¼ cup of a stout or porter beer
1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- One step: mix it up and dig in!
from 50 Campfires http://ift.tt/2daX8RE