Enjoy These Savory Mesquite Muffins In Camp or On the Trail
The most convenient way to take these mesquite muffins camping with you is to make them up at home, throw them in a large zipper top bag, and serve them up at camp, on the trail, or in the car. They’ll be delicious anywhere you want to take them … and eat them. These mesquite muffins also make a great feature at breakfast or side dish at lunchtime. Enjoy!
You may find it a bit difficult to locate mesquite flour at your local grocery store, but a bit of searching online should turn it up pretty easily. We found ours for testing recipes at the nuts.com website.
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup mesquite flour
- 1 ½ Tbs. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¾ tsp. salt
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup milk
- ¼ plain Greek yogurt
- 1 Tbs. finely chopped chipotle chilies in adobo sauce
- 1 cup completely thawed frozen hash brown potatoes
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ⅓ cup grated Monterrey Jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 F, and prepare muffin tin with 10 paper cups. (Recipe will make 8-10.)
- In large mixing bowl, combine all-purpose flour, mesquite flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Blend together thoroughly and set aside.
- In another large mixing bowl, beat the egg then add milk, yogurt, and chopped peppers in sauce. Combine well.
- Make a well in center of dry mix. Slowly pour liquid into well and mix with clean hands just long enough so you see no dry spots. DO NOT OVER MIX!
- Squeeze out any excess liquid from thawed hash browns. (Squeeze through cheese cloth if they seem overly wet.) Fold potatoes into the batter along with ¼ cup of cheese and the vegetable oil.
- Use large spoon or ice cream scoop to fill each muffin cup about ¾ full.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese evenly on top of all muffins.
- Bake at 350F until they muffins are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean – about 30 minutes.
The post Enjoy These Savory Mesquite Muffins In Camp or On the Trail appeared first on 50 Campfires.
from 50 Campfires http://ift.tt/2jx54Qj